Thursday, February 3, 2011

A match made in Heaven


Since I was a little girl I dreamed of getting married in Hawaii. I never gave much thought to dresses or cakes, guests or little trinkets. Just me, the perfect him, and our loved ones celebrating  a lifelong commitment in paradise. 
When i was 23 on the verge of 24 my dream came true. I was in hawaii. I stumbled onto the Youth With a Mission campus in Kona, Hawaii on april 8th 2010. I was hungover from years of partying. My spirit was dry, my soul an ocean of emotions ranging from extreme fear to overwhelming excitement. I was not here to get married, in fact, i would have preferred if there were no men on campus at all. I was here to seek God, and wanted no distractions.
Up to this point i had tried to steer my life and failed miserably time after time. I knew there was a God. I felt His presence in my life several times before. However, a strongly mistaken view on religion had kept me from pursuing any kind of personal relationship with God. Being, by nature, a strong willed individual it only took 23 years for me to finally give up. To lay it all down and give God a chance to run the life that ,try as I might, I couldn't seem to get together. 
It did not take long for God to prove himself worthy of the task. Within one day of being on the Y.W.A.M. Kona campus. the Lord started speaking to my heart. Showing up in miraculous and undeniable ways. He started to highlight areas in my life that held me back from being the person that he created me to be. He brought light into the darkest most hidden and fearful places in my heart and with it brought much healing. 
I started to realize the truth of the gospel and the revelation that God sent His son Jesus to die for our sins. For freedom! Not so that we can spend our lives trying to work to get into Heaven. Not so that we will try to be perfect. The truth is that we will never be perfect, we are born sinners. That is why Jesus had to die on the cross. Through His blood we are clean! Our sins are forgiven. This realization was the single most life changing revelation of my life. Because of this message I don't feel like I have to be good. I just want to. I don't feel like I have to follow Jesus to get into Heaven. I just hate the thought of a life not following Him. 
I fell in love with Jesus in Kona Hawaii.  Standing on the amazing shore of the pacific ocean, just me and the perfect Him surrounded by people we loved, I was baptized into the Kingdom. It was the worlds most perfect marriage. 

1 comment:

  1. this is so beautiful jess!! im so excited for what is ahead for you as a staff member. your going to be awesome with the students!! Its going to be amazing :)
    much love.

    ReplyDelete