Sunday, February 13, 2011

God Loves India


India is  a country that will overwhelm your every sense! The color's the flavor's the smells : /. One thing that stuck out to me during the 2 months i spent there last year is the extreme poverty and broad sense of hopelessness.  
One day in a small red light district in the outskirts of Mumbai I had a chance to get out of the day care center we were working in and walk around. I ended up in the home of Uma and Julie, two women who worked in the district.  It was extremely difficult to communicate with these women as I was without a translator, But, i found a kid on the street who spoke a little English and recruited him to help me. A few other women entered the room  asking for prayer for themselves and one women wanted prayer for her sick baby. As i was praying for the child he peed on me (diapers are not often worn by babies in India). 
I felt led to share with these women that i am not the one who brings healing and freedom. That anyone who believes in Him can pray in Jesus name and have healing. I was touched as they all got in a circle and began to pray for one another.
After our time of prayer as i sat on the prostitutes bed, covered in urine, enjoying a samosa that was graciously offered to me by my new friends, I was filled with the joy of the Lord. He sent me to this place, this specific room, these specific women because He loves them and wants them to know the freedom that comes from knowing Him!
 I was completely overwhelmed by the poverty, suffering and disease that i saw in India. However, the most overwhelming sense i got was the sense God's love for the broken and suffering people in this poor and oppressed nation. It was truly and amazingly beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment